Tuesday, August 24, 2010

WW at Work

We learned last week that our health insurance premiums are going up significantly in the coming weeks – UNLESS we, as individuals, actively participate in a wellness program. Many in our company are unhealthy and contributing to the problem of rising health costs.

Let’s face it, a lot of our health problems are from poor choices. Mine were. My bad choices caused me to be overweight; and I’ve been that way for a while. Fortunately for me, I was able to get my head around losing weight way before this entire insurance issue/wellness program came to light.

I’m glad to work for a company that is taking an active role in encouraging and supporting positive health practices. They are going to start Weight Watchers class at our research office. I am very excited, and encouraged, that more than 20 people have signed up to participate. I’ve already been asked if I would speak at a meeting and try to encourage my co-workers.

Initially, I was hesitant; but I smacked myself in the head when I realized how selfish that was. Isn’t this what life’s all about? We go through struggles so we can help the next person in line. I’ve participated in WW for a year. I’ve realized some success, and now I’m being given the opportunity to share some of what I’ve learned.

So, I’ve been thinking about what I would say to encourage my friends. What words can I offer as they get started? I really want to be a source of encouragement. I REALLY want to help each and every one of them realize the same success that I have had and continue to have.

So, here it goes – my first piece of advice: Cut yourself some slack. This isn’t about being perfect. It’s about making today a little bit better than yesterday. One positive change – that’s all it takes. And YOU can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment