Tuesday, July 20, 2010

All or Nothing

I've heard from so many people who have said how proud they are of me and how they so desperately wish they could do the same for themselves. If only I had some magic words that could propel them forward towards success.

As I thought about why people procrastinate so much if they want to get healthy, I wondered why it took me so long. I had been battling with obesity for at least eleven years. It was not a fun way to live – not fun at all. Yet it took me a very long time to get my head on straight.

What was holding me back? What holds so many people back?

For me, I thought if I couldn't do it right or if I couldn't give it my all, then I wouldn't try. If I wasn't convinced that I would be successful then I wouldn't take the first step. I had a LOT of weight to lose, and didn't want to try if I couldn't realize success – QUICKLY!

We're all like that, aren't we? We all have a little bit of perfectionist inside us. Think about it – we're so afraid of failing, that we don't do anything.

Why do we sabotage our efforts before we even get started? I have no answer. And I'm as guilty as the next guy. Let's be honest; this attitude is not limited to losing weight.

My current challenge? I wish I were cooking healthy, well balanced, gourmet meals for my family – you know, the kind worthy of Food Network Channel – but I'm not. We eat more takeout than I care to admit. Because I can't get menus planned and grocery lists completed every single day, I don't do it. It's stupid, isn't it?

But this new me is not going to beat myself up. I'm going to find a way to move forward. I will conquer this demon just as I am winning with my weight. And then, someday, you just might be using my cookbook in your own kitchen.

I'm starting to remember that just about anything is possible. I want you to believe it. Think about it – the only reason "ALL" is not possible is because we choose to do "NOTHING".

No comments:

Post a Comment