Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Good, the Bad, and the Late Night Snacks

Just in case there is anyone out there who thinks this has been easy, or you think the pounds are just melting away because I'm such a strong person who continues to make wise decisions, let me confess something.

Before you go wishing you could be like me, or wishing you could be as motivated as I am, let me remind you of something. This is a difficult and long journey. It requires commitment. I have to face my food demons each and every day, often multiple times a day.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that these thoughts didn't come from the person who just posted that she is getting stronger and that she is actually PROUD of herself. Those things are true. I am that person. But I am also the person who struggles.

I am not perfect, by no means. Confession time –

Here it is, midnight. And for the past 35 minutes, I have been wrestling with what snack I should have. Did you hear me, it is MIDNIGHT!

I gave in and ate – a pancake with butter and syrup - and THEN I went back to the fridge for a few slices of deli turkey. No, I didn't have the points for this food, but I did it anyway. Stupid; just plain stupid.

Dumb decision having been made, here is what I did differently tonight that I wouldn't have done a year ago. I stood up (figuratively), dusted myself off, and started again. I made a dumb decision, but I am not going to let it derail my efforts. I will not take my eye off the prize.

What I should have done is gotten up and gone to bed. But I didn't. And what is done, is done. I'm not going to wait until tomorrow (next Monday, next month, or next year – you name it) to start over. I started over immediately. I must acknowledge the bad decision and decide that it will no longer control me.

I'm sharing this to let you know that you're not alone when you get the munchies at midnight (or at any other time, for that matter). We all trip up. The trick (and it is as important as chocolate is to any woman) is to start again IMMEDIATELY! Each time you do it, it becomes easier.

This is the mindset that must accompany my new lifestyle. I'm not on a diet. I'm changing the way I live. And the only way to successfully make this trek is to move ahead one step at a time.

Let me remind you - I'm successful. I've gotten to a point where I am motivating myself. I have lost weight equal to the average ten-year-old boy. Stuff to be proud of, huh? It's definitely worth leaving the past where it belongs – behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment